skip to main content
Closeup of person working on investment calculations

Real story Growing estate for heirs

Mary and William* are in their late 70s with adult children and grandchildren. William is a retired business executive and Mary was a GP but gave up work to raise their family.

Financial situation

The couple is debt-free and own a $700,000 family home and $800,000 holiday home. They have private equity investments of $1 million and a broker portfolio of shares and bonds of $25 million. Their children are in their 40's, professionally established and are financially secure, partially through assistance given by their parents to fund education and housing.

Lifestyle goals

William and Mary want to maintain and grow their family wealth and success.

How Bloomsbury helped

William wanted to retain control of some investments as he loves the process of investing. He decided to delegate 75% of investment assets to ensure that family and estate are properly catered to should something happen to him or he makes a bad investment decision.

We developed a smart, well-planned portfolio established for "family wealth" to ensure enduring stability of that 75%. We also established a separate portfolio for the remaining 25% that can be facilitated alongside the main portfolio. This administratively simplifies matters but allows William to retain control for his own decision-making without jeopardising wider family affairs.

We were able to increase the expected returns from the managed portfolio by over $200,000 per annum. We engaged specialist lawyers to ensure that the couple's legal and estate affairs were all in order and correct entity structures used.


The financial burden and stress has been reduced for William and he can now get on with having fun with some of his investments without 100% responsibility.

* Names have been changed to protect privacy

Real story 1 - All about the family

All about the family

We helped this couple increase annual returns by $25,000 so they can better support their children. Read more about All about the family

Real story 2 - Retirement full of 'work' and play

Retirement full of 'work' and play

A working retirement full of overseas travel is a common goal for many clients. Read more about Retirement full of 'work' and play

Real story 3 - Philanthropy through ethical investing

Philanthropy through ethical investing

This couple wanted to help charity through their investments but were not sure how to start. Read more about Philanthropy through ethical investing

Real story 4 - Luxury in retirement

Luxury in retirement

The expected returns from these clients' investments were boosted by $52,000 per annum. Read more about Luxury in retirement

Real story 5 - Philanthropic focus

Philanthropic focus

We help clients consolidate complicated and neglected financial affairs to reach their goals. Read more about Philanthropic focus

Real story 6 - Caretakers of wealth for future generations

Caretakers of wealth for future generations

Inheritance can be a perceived burden. We helped this couple think otherwise. Read more about Caretakers of wealth for future generations

Real story 7 - Exclusive VIP requirements

Exclusive VIP requirements

We offer an exclusive investment service for those who want something extra special. Read more about Exclusive VIP requirements

Real story 8 - Privacy is paramount

Privacy is paramount

Privacy is a common client concern. We will ensure complete confidentiality and discretion. Read more about Privacy is paramount

Real story 9 - Growing estate for heirs

Growing estate for heirs

This highly successful retired couple needed advice on their considerable investments. Read more about Growing estate for heirs

Real story 10 - Worry-free widowed future

Worry-free widowed future

Instead of being concerned about finances, this client can now enjoy her future. Read more about Worry-free widowed future

Real story 11 - Single and wanting early retirement

Single and wanting early retirement

Good planning means early retirement on one income is accessible. Read more about Single and wanting early retirement